NETGEAR SIMPLIFIES YOUR LIFE BY ADDING NEW CLOUD CAPABILITIES TO NIGHTHAWK SMART WIFI ROUTER
CES Innovations Award honoree and PC Magazine Editors’ Choice winner further enhanced with new features for easier remote file access, easier remote network management, and easier installation for upgrade to best-in-class 802.11ac WiFi
LAS VEGAS — January 5, 2015 — NETGEAR®, Inc. (NASDAQ: NTGR) (www.netgear.com), a global networking company that delivers innovative products to consumers, businesses and service providers, is adding multiple new features to its CES® Innovations and PC Magazine Editors’ Choice award-winning router, the Nighthawk® AC1900 Smart WiFi Router (R7000) (www.netgear.com/R7000). Nighthawk now supports NETGEAR ReadyCLOUD™ for easier remote access to USB Storage, features an enhanced NETGEAR genie® for remote network management, and includes a new install wizard to make it easier than ever to use your Nighthawk in conjunction with your existing Internet Service Provider (ISP) gateway and upgrade to next-generation 802.11ac WiFi. You can add these new capabilities to your Nighthawk through a free firmware update available this month on the NETGEAR Support website. The enhanced Nighthawk is one of the exciting products that NETGEAR is demonstrating to press, customers and channel partners this week in their showroom suite in the Marriott Las Vegas during the 2015 International CES® trade show.
Nighthawk is already packed with best-in-class technology to offer an unmatched WiFi experience for your WiFi-enabled devices — smartphones, notebooks, tablets, smart TVs, gaming consoles, Blu-ray® players, and media servers. Its 1GHz dual core processor delivers blazing-fast WiFi (AC1900 WiFi = 600 +1300 Mbps*) so you enjoy a lag-free WiFi experience for gaming, video streaming or surfing. With the advanced features and best-in-class technology of Nighthawk, you reduce interference and have more reliable WiFi connectivity, enabling you to get the most out of home entertainment systems and game consoles such as PlayStation® 4 (PS4™) and Xbox One™.
The new capabilities that will make your Nighthawk experience even better include:
- ReadyCLOUD support for easier remote storage access: With NETGEAR ReadyCLOUD, you can easily access files stored on a USB hard drive connected to your NETGEAR Nighthawk router. The ReadyCLOUD app for desktop PCs, iOS and Android™ mobile devices enables easier access to files anytime, anywhere, and from virtually any mobile device or computer. You can easily share files using an email link, and quickly back up your precious photos from your smartphone to the USB hard drive locally or even when you are remote. Unlike other cloud options, ReadyCloud offers you a secure, easy-to-access personal cloud at no additional cost through your router-connected USB hard drive.
- NETGEAR genie app for easy network management now with remote access: The NETGEAR genie app for Nighthawk (R7000) now offers remote capabilities when you are away from home, enabling you to easily access your home network, view the network map, block WiFi devices, set up guest WiFi, and manage parental controls, anytime, anywhere, all through the app.
- Easy WiFi upgrade for your existing Internet service provider gateway: With Nighthawk’s new easier installation and support for both router and access point mode, your streaming and playing won’t be hamstrung by slower WiFi speeds if you have an older-generation Internet gateway installed by your ISP. While you may need to keep the gateway to support services like VoIP, you can use the Nighthawk router to upgrade your WiFi to best-in-class 802.11ac WiFi to improve the range and performance of all your devices. The Nighthawk (R7000) Smart WiFi Router automatically recognizes that it is being installed behind another gateway and will even help you choose the router or access point mode, whichever is easier and more appropriate for your network.
“We designed Nighthawk to deliver a best-in-class experience of speed, range, sharing, reliability, security, and ease of use. We are further enhancing these capabilities by making the new features available to all our Nighthawk (R7000) customers with easier remote access to your data and your home network. The automatic and easy installation process will enable you to upgrade your WiFi even if you have to use a gateway with older technology because it is provided by your ISP,” said Sandeep Harpalani, NETGEAR’s director of product marketing for Retail Network Products. “We’re thrilled that our Nighthawk has already received such a warm welcome from gamers, media enthusiasts, and home networking industry experts. These new features will help further enhance and simplify your overall experience with Nighthawk.”
In addition to being a 2014 CES Innovations honoree, Nighthawk has received many industry accolades, including the coveted Editors’ Choice Award from PC Magazine. Nighthawk is praised for its “Sharp design. Great throughput at 5GHz. Excellent range. Wonderful QoS. Full VPN capability.” Read the review at: www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2426296,00.asp.
Pricing and Availability
Nighthawk AC1900 Smart WiFi Router (R7000) is available via major retailers and online at an MSRP in the U.S. of $199.99. The latest Nighthawk firmware will be available for download in January from the NETGEAR Support website at http://downloadcenter.netgear.com/en/product/R7000.
- Watch the Nighthawk video: http://youtu.be/233T3k-bzuE
- Go to www.netgear.com/fastestwifi for the full range of NETGEAR 802.11ac WiFi networking products such as routers, adapters, and gateways.
- NETGEAR is hosting press, analysts and channel partners in an invitation-only suite at the Marriott Las Vegas from January 6-9.
- See all CES-related news from NETGEAR: www.netgear.com/ces
About NETGEAR, Inc.
NETGEAR (NASDAQ: NTGR) is a global networking company that delivers innovative products to consumers, businesses and service providers. For consumers, the company makes high performance, dependable and easy to use home networking, storage and digital media products to connect people with the Internet and their content and devices. For businesses, NETGEAR provides networking, storage and security solutions without the cost and complexity of big IT. The company also supplies top service providers with retail-proven, mobile broadband solutions for their customers on the go. NETGEAR products are built on a variety of proven technologies such as wireless, Ethernet and Powerline, with a focus on reliability and ease-of-use. NETGEAR products are sold in approximately 45,000 retail locations around the globe, and through approximately 36,000 value-added resellers. The company's headquarters are in San Jose, Calif., with additional offices in over 25 countries. NETGEAR is an ENERGY STAR® partner. More information is available at www.NETGEAR.com or by calling (408) 907-8000. Connect with NETGEAR at twitter.com/NETGEAR and www.facebook.com/NETGEAR.
©2015 NETGEAR, Inc. NETGEAR, the NETGEAR logo, NETGEAR genie, Nighthawk and ReadyCLOUD are trademarks and/or registered trademarks of NETGEAR, Inc. and/or its subsidiaries in the United States and/or other countries. Other brand names mentioned herein are for identification purposes only and may be trademarks of their respective holder(s). Information is subject to change without notice. All rights reserved.
* Maximum wireless signal rate derived from IEEE standard 802.11 specifications. AC1900 equals 600 Mbps at 2.4GHz 802.11n with 256 QAM support + 1300 Mbps at 5GHz 802.11ac. 2.4GHz Performance Mode requires 256 QAM support on WiFi client. Up to 1300 Mbps wireless speeds achievable when connecting to other 802.11ac devices. Actual data throughput and wireless coverage will vary. Network conditions and environmental factors, including volume of network traffic, building materials and construction, and network overhead, lower actual data throughput rate and wireless coverage. NETGEAR makes no express or implied representations or warranties about this product’s compatibility with any future standards.
Safe Harbor Statement under the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995 for NETGEAR, Inc.: This press release contains forward-looking statements within the meaning of the U.S. Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. Specifically, statements concerning NETGEAR's business and the expected performance characteristics, specifications, reliability, market acceptance, market growth, specific uses, user feedback and market position of NETGEAR's products and technology are forward-looking statements within the meaning of the Safe Harbor. These statements are based on management's current expectations and are subject to certain risks and uncertainties, including, without limitation, the following: the actual price, performance and ease of use of NETGEAR's products may not meet the price, performance and ease of use requirements of customers; product performance may be adversely affected by real world operating conditions; failure of products may under certain circumstances cause permanent loss of end user data; new viruses or Internet threats may develop that challenge the effectiveness of security features in NETGEAR's products; the ability of NETGEAR to market and sell its products and technology; the impact and pricing of competing products; and the introduction of alternative technological solutions. Further information on potential risk factors that could affect NETGEAR and its business are detailed in the Company's periodic filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission. NETGEAR undertakes no obligation to release publicly any revisions to any forward-looking statements contained herein to reflect events or circumstances after the date hereof or to reflect the occurrence of unanticipated events.
U.S. Media Contact:
Jocelyn Shaw, Weber Shandwick for NETGEAR, (415) 262-5904, email@example.com
U.S. Sales Inquiries: (408) 907-8000, firstname.lastname@example.orgU.S. Customer Inquiries: (888) NETGEAR